Skip to content

Non-credit International Experience

Students pursuing an international experience not for credit must register their travel with the Western Washington University Education Abroad office.  Students can participate in an non-credit international experience through various means and the Education Abroad office.  Students should start planning at least two quarters in advance for an non-credit international experience.  

WWU provides a secure website through the Education Abroad for students to record international travel plans and contact information.  All information provided by travelers will remain confidential.  The Non-credit International Experience is a convenient, one-stop service that supports emergency communications, access to University approved travel abroad health insurance and travel resources.  Students are encouraged to register their travel, even when it is not credit-bearing.  This registry is not for faculty and staff.  Faculty and staff should use the Travel Registry.

Why register through the Non-credit International Experience?
• Emergency Communications – In the event of an emergency at home or overseas, the Non-credit International Experience will help the University get in touch with you and will support your ability to reach us for urgent health, safety and security-related information.
• University Approved Travel Abroad Health Insurance – The Non-credit International Experience provides information and instructions for obtaining University suggested travel abroad health insurance.  This coverage commonly includes medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and emergency evacuation in the event of political instability or a natural disaster.
• Trip Summary and University Emergency Contact Information – The Non-credit International Experience provides a summary of the information you enter, along with emergency contact information at home and overseas, and a travel itinerary, which can be printed or emailed.
• Travel Resources – Important health, safety and logistical updates will be available before, during, and after your international trip.  Other resources include the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and country-specific information through the U.S. Department of State.  Please see the EdAbroad Health & Safety webpage.

Countries with Travel Warnings: International Travel Warning Policy

For questions about the Non-credit International Experience and developing a travel safety plan, please contact Ryan Larsen, Director, Education Abroad or Paul Mueller, Risk Manager.

For more information and to register your trip, click.  You will be prompted to indicate the term you will be going abroad.  We understand that you may not be going abroad for the entire term, however please indicate the term in which the majority of your travel abroad falls into.    

WWU Accessibility Notice