Skip to content

Financial Aid

Financial aid, in the form of grants, scholarships and loans may be applied to approved study abroad programs through Education Abroad (EdAbroad).  However, financial aid in the form of Work Study, Western grants and Tuition Waivers, including the Western Achievement Award (WAA) scholarship, the Western Award for Excellence (WAE) scholarship and the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) scholarship do not apply.

Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) funds may be applied to Exchanges and some applicable programs.

Complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WAFSA) for the school year that you intend on studying abroad.  

Consider having someone serve as Power of Attorney to take care of any financial matters that may arise while you are away.  The Power of Attorney legally gives the person you indicate the authority to sign documents in your absence.

Set up Direct Deposit to the bank of your choice or to your Higher OneAccount with the Student Business Office.

Review some tips for financial aid from WWU Tips for Students on Financial and Student Debt Relief.

Financial Aid disburses funds on the second day of classes at WWU or the first day of your program if your program starts later in the quarter.  If your program requires payment before this date, it is your responsibility to make arrangements with the program regarding your payment schedule, if you have financial aid you can have a deferment form completed through the Financial Aid office.