If you have studied abroad and would like to work in the WWU Education Abroad office as a Peer Advisor for the academic year, please apply!
Peer Advisor 1 – Job Description
(Pay Range: Hourly $12)
Duties are generally of a routine and simple nature. Work may be closely supervised; requires little responsibility. Under close supervision, does general advising. Must become acquainted with University and office procedures, related policies, and advising techniques. Peer Advisor in this position takes moderate responsibility for project work.
The Education Abroad (EdAbroad) office is part of the Institute for Global Engagement (IGE). EdAbroad promotes, assists and coordinates outgoing international exchanges and study abroad at Western Washington University and provide services to and work with students, scholars and faculty. Peer Advisors provide general advising for students seeking information regarding exchanges and/or study abroad programs; provide general advising on academic, financial, social, and cultural concerns; refer international students to resources on and off campus; plan and implement programs/projects; and provide general office support.
• General Advising
- Provide academic advising on study, registration procedures and development of class schedules
- Provide advising on financial, social, and cultural areas
- Provide advising on the programs offered through the Education Abroad
- Refer international students to resources on and off campus
• Program Planning
- Assist in coordinating information sessions, orientations for international and study abroad and exchange students, workshops, and events including the Go Abroad Fair and the Returnee Student Conference.
• Office Support
- Provide general office and computer support, including responding to telephone and public inquiries, photocopying, filing, mailings, updating database, maintaining resource library, and other duties as assigned.
• Completion of one academic year at WWU
• Min. GPA of 2.5
• Computer expertise
• Must be self-motivated
• Academic year commitment
• Study abroad and/or international experience
• Work study eligible
• Sophomore status
• Interest in helping your fellow and prospective students, faculty and the campus community in general
• Completion of study abroad through WWU Education Abroad
• WWU Career Services Center
We highly suggest utilizing the Career Services Center resources for resume and cover letter assistance as well as interview preparation.