WWU Direct Exchange:
University Lumière Lyon 2
- The Rhone Region is located mid-way between the sea and the mountains. At the heart of a flourishing region and close to many European cities, Lyon is an ideal location to continue your studies.
- Housing is more affordable, the pace of life a bit slower, cultural life is abundant, and the cuisine every bit as good, if not better! Lyon has the reputation of being the gastronomic capital of France.
- The Université Lumière Lyon 2 is named in honor of the Lumière brothers, Auguste and Louis, who invented the "cinematographe" and are considered (in France at least!) to have created modern cinema. Lyon, therefore, is known as the birthplace of cinema and boasts France's first department of cinema studies.
- With nearly 30,000 students, Université Lumière-Lyon 2 welcomes over 4,000 international students from 132 different countries.
- In Lyon, students may select from a broad range of course in various disciplines, including psychology, political science, history, business, the social sciences and languages.
Lyon is a unique crossroads of European cultures. The city’s close proximity to Switzerland and Italy, not to mention Provence, makes it an ideal base for traveling. With some 1,250,000 inhabitants, Lyon is the second largest city in France, after Paris. The city of Lyon boasts an extraordinary historical and cultural heritage. In 1998, UNESCO added the historic city of Lyon to its World Heritage List. Additionally, the city of Lyon has long been renowned for its culinary specialties. G astronomic pleasures are a part of the city's tradition and way of life, delighting the city's visitors. Lyon is a city of culture and creation. Visited by many artists, Lyon is a natural meeting point for members of the artistic community. The city offers a variety of venues and activities to suit a wide audience. With its many parks and gardens, Lyon offers a very attractive place to live and study.
Photo courtesy of University of Lumiere-Lyon 2
Academic Program and Courses
As an exchange student in the Université Lumière Lyon 2, you can choose from nearly all courses offered, in any department and at any level. It is important to note that all courses are taught in French, so a high level of language comprehension is required. You will enroll in regular university courses alongside French students. This system is what the French call études intégrées, affording what we believe to be the most enriching cultural and linguistic experience possible. Unlike other programs which design courses specifically for international students, and sometimes specifically for American students, this program provides our students with an authentic experience of higher education in France.
for more information and a list of courses.
- Semester 1: beginning of September to mid-January
- Semester 2: mid-January to end of June
It can be difficult to find accommodation in Lyon; therefore it is important to begin looking as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from the university Lumière Lyon 2.
You will be responsible for finding your own housing. There are several options for accommodations available to exchange students:
- Rooms and Studios in Public University Residences
- Rooms and Studios in Private University Residences
- Host Family Accommodation
- Flat Sharing, Individual Rooms and Studio Rental from a Landlord
The typical cost of housing ranges from 500-650 Euros per month and students should expect to pay housing for a full five-month period. For more information on housing options please click here.
Exchange program participants will pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees. All other costs associated with participation in the program (including transportation, room and board, personal expenses) are the responsibility of the individual student. Check the budget sheet for information on any additional estimated expenses.
The program may allow for time which can be spent in non-program activities. Participants may wish to travel, sightsee or participate in activities or events in which they have a personal interest. Please note that the participant is fully responsible for making arrangements and for all costs of transportation, lodging, food and additional expenses that may be associated with any non-program activities.
There are two applications for exchange students to complete. The first application is the International Programs & Exchanges (IPE) application. After students are selected for nomination, they must complete the application for University Lumière Lyon 2.
Campus France Student Visa Guide
Welcome to Lyon
International Student Information
WWU Accessibility Notice