Global Learning Program:
Study Abroad in Guanajuato. World Heritage City.
Span 203, or placement into Span 301 through WWU placement test.
Program Dates: June 16 - August 4, 2018
Travel Dates: June 30 - August 4, 2018
Living and taking classes in Guanajuato is expected to be a complete full immersion in Spanish language and Mexican culture. Host families serve as a unique and valuable introduction into Mexican culture and values. Therefore, our students will be living with local families, generally, within the historic center of the city. Students will take language classes in the mornings (Span 301, 302 Grammar Review and Composition) and a cultural class in the afternoons (Span 332 Culture of Latin America, with emphasis in Mexican culture and history). In addition, students will take lessons in dance, art, food, music and alebrijes with five Mexican instructors (these classes are part of the Span 332 curriculum). We will spend most of the weekends traveling. Students will have the first and last weekends with their Mexican families.
- Welcome and Farewell Group Dinner.
- City orientation in Guanajuato.
- Full cultural and language immersion living with a Mexican family.
- Exploration of several museums and historical places in Guanajuato.
- Visiting the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City, the largest and most visited museum of Mexico.
- Visiting the Museum of Frida Khalo “La casa azul”, in Mexico City.
- Climbing pyramids and understanding concept of space in the ancient city of Teotihuacan.
- Appreciation of colonial architecture and baroque art in Guanajuato, Querétaro, and San Miguel de Allende.
- Opportunities to do voluntary work in Guanajuato.
, Assistant Professor of Spanish (Modern and Classical Languages)
: Miller Hall 128
Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish (Modern and Classical Languages)
: Miller Hall 222B
View the Program Budget Sheet
WWU Accessibility Notice