GURs Abroad

MAPs are being updated

These pages are currently under revision, and may not have a complete list of programs. Please contact Hannah Nevitt to explore all program options.

The following programs highlight programs offering 100-200 level coursework in the areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Intercultural Studies, Math & Science, Labs, etc. that could potentially fulfill General Undergraduate Requirements (GURs) abroad. This is meant to highlight a variety of programs by region; please note there are many more available beyond what is listed here. Students will still need to review their Degree Works through their Web4U portal and seek pre-approval through the Degree Evaluation section of the Registrar’s office to discuss fulfilling GURS. Please meet with an Education Abroad Advisor to discuss how best to prepare for this process.

Western GUR Guide

Explore Programs


Education Abroad


Office: Miller Hall 208

Advising Info

Visit the EdAbroad office in Miller Hall 208 for information or assistance in researching your study abroad program.

After you decide on a program and the courses you will take abroad, you must meet with Departmental Academic Advisors to complete the EdAbroad Departmental Academic Advising Form. The form must be completed before you leave on your study abroad program.

Degree Works

If you wish to obtain GUR credit while abroad you must provide the WWU Degree Evaluators in the Registrar’s Office with up to five courses with the following information: Course Title, Course Description, and which GUR you believe the course meets competencies for.  Please email this information to: Please review your Degree Works to help determine which courses may be appropriate. 

Review your Degree Works:

Web4U > Student > Student Records > Degree Works 

Follow steps to see what you have completed, and what you still need for your degree plan.


Look to see what you could take here at WWU to fulfill these GUR requirements, then look for similar course listings and descriptions in your program abroad!

Helpful Links


Program Options

Study Abroad Provider

  • Independent organizations that facilitate or administer study abroad programs for students
  • Quarter, semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer
  • Pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing, etc. (varies)
  • More services provided
  • Often includes excursions, onsite pickup, varied housing options
  • Part time internships can be available for credit

Faculty-led Global Learning Program

  • WWU faculty organize and lead academic programs abroad
  • Quarter, summer, and academic breaks
  • Earn WWU credits and learn from WWU faculty abroad while studying with other WWU students
  • Pay tuition and fees at WWU in addition to a program fee for onsite costs

Western Exchange

  • Bilateral agreements between WWU and universities abroad to exchange students
  • Chance of placement is high
  • Semester and year-long options
  • Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
  • Room & board paid onsite
  • Take courses with international students at universities abroad
  • Eligibility requirements vary
  • More independent and less services

ISEP Exchange

  • ISEP stands for International Student Exchange Program
  • Students can choose from over 135 universities in 36 different countries
  • Students provide ISEP with a list of preferred sites. Chance of placement varies from site to site.
  • Semester & year-long options only
  • Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
  • Room & board paid to WWU
  • Take courses with international students at universities abroad
  • More independent and less services provided