Independent Study Abroad Guidelines
Independent Study allows students to pursue an educational experience not available through regular WWU catalog course offerings. Students can participate in an international independent study through a WWU department and the Education Abroad office. Students should start planning at least two quarters in advance for an independent study abroad.
- Independent Study requires approval by an academic department or college and/or a faculty advisor; faculty advisor must determine how the Independent Study is evaluated and graded;
- Acceptability to the Independent Study program, organization or agency(if applicable);
- Education Abroad (EdAbroad) requires that students are in full time status at WWU, in good academic standing with at least 30 credits earned and a 2.5 GPA or above.
- Meet with faculty advisor and obtain approval for Independent Study. Independent Study credit can only be applied to one academic department.
- Obtain the green Independent Study card from the Registrar’s Office. Complete the card and route through your faculty advisor, department and college.
- Exception: Fairhaven students follow these procedures
- Complete the online Independent Study Abroad application and schedule an appointment to meet with an EdAbroad advisor.
- The advising appointment is especially important if the student is on Financial Aid, as they will need to complete an approved financial budget with the EdAbroad advisor as well as obtain the EdAbroad advisor signature on the green Independent Study Card. Exception: EdAbroad advisor will email Fairhaven College when Fairhaven students complete the EdAbroad Independent Study Abroad Application. Fairhaven students do not use the green Independent Study Card.
- It is up to the student and faculty advisor to determine how the Independent Study will be graded. Some departments have specific guidelines, for example Fairhaven College has their own guidelines. Students must follow departmental guidelines for Independent Study Abroad.
- Students pay WWU rates for tuition and mandatory on-campus fees.
- After the Independent Study is completed, the student must meet with their advisor for evaluation of the Independent Study before a grade is determined.
- The faculty advisor will send the grade and number of credits earned to the Registrar’s Office.
- The Registrar’s Office will then post the grade and number of credits earned to the WWU transcript.
For more information, contact Krista Mantello.