Undocumented Students

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) provides a pathway for undocumented students to study abroad by applying for Advance parole. Advance parole is a procedure by which certain noncitizens receive permission to reenter the U.S. after temporarily traveling abroad. This is a process that is part of the government’s broader authority to parole (or allow someone into the U.S.) based on their discretion. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues an advance parole travel document to travelers before they depart the U.S. While these travelers may use this document to travel back to the U.S., entry to the U.S. is dependent upon the discretion of the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at a port of entry.

USCIS is accepting and adjudicating applications for advance parole for current DACA recipients. Please note that applicants cannot file their DACA renewal applications and advance parole applications at the same time.

Before you apply for advance parole, consider consulting with a legal service provider to determine risk and eligibility based on your legal situation.

  • It is especially important to discuss with a legal service provider if any of the following apply:
    • Prior deportation case in immigration court
    • Contact with the criminal legal system (arrests, charges, or convictions), even if it did not make you ineligible for DACA
    • Multiple prior entries to the U.S. without permission to re-enter
    • Immigration-related fraud or misrepresentation to the government

See President Randhawa’s statement in support of DACA.

Search for Programs

Search all EdAbroad Programs

Online and Domestic Study Abroad and Virtual Internship Offerings

Virtual/Remote OptionsSome programs offer virtual opportunities for students to gain international perspective, continue education, and gain career experience. Compare all your options and learn more on our Virtual Program Guide.

National Student ExchangeFounded in 1968, the National Student Exchange, or NSE, provides students access to study on exchange to universities across the US, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. The nature of the exchange waives non-resident tuition at the host university, allowing students to pay their host university’s in-state/resident tuition. Alternatively, students may choose to study with NSE on a plan where they pay their home university tuition. Likewise, students from other NSE member universities can study on exchange at Western. Contact Dan Lindeman for more information.

Student Advising

For advising, please contact Krista Mantello.