Things to Consider
There are many things to take into consideration when choosing a program. Type of program, location, and coursework are just the beginning. Check out this list of additional considerations when choosing a program.
Cost of Living
- Access to more scholarship funding
- Cost of living is less in small cities vs. large cities
- Consider cost of living around the world
- Cost Effective Programs
Studying in non-traditional locations can increase scholarship eligibility and be cost effective.
- Thailand, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia, South Korea
- Morocco, Kenya, Tanzania, Senegal, Tunisia, Madagascar, South Africa
- Middle East
- Turkey, Jordan, Oman, UAE, Israel
- Eastern Europe
- Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Croatia, Turkey, Poland, Latvia, Estonia
- Northern Europe
- Iceland, Greenland, Sweden, Finland, Norway
- South America
- Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina
- Central America & West Indies
- Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos Islands
- Homestay family
- Improve your language skills!
- Apartment with international students
- Access to local culture & international friends!
A Guide to Housing: Navigating your housing before & after you study abroad
WWU Off-Campus Housing Marketplace Tour: How to search for roommates/lease takeovers, or short term housing
Graduation & Major Requirements
Review Degree Works in Web4U and consider completing courses for the following abroad:
- Honors Courses
- Internship/Service Learning
- Research/Field Study
- How flexible are my departments with study abroad?
- Do I have a “tracked” major that may limit me?
- Students are able to study abroad their last quarter before graduation
Goals for the Experience
- Gain/Improve Language skills
- Field Study/Research
- Resume Builder-Internship
- Service Learning
- Cultural Immersion
- Heritage Seeking
- Options are: Academic or Calendar Year, Semester, Quarter, Summer, Intensive Month, and Short-term
- The longer you are abroad will help to improve your language skills and cultural immersion
Scholarships for Critical Need Languages
- Bahasa Indonesian
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Sign Language
Visit Gilman Critical Need Language Award, The Critical Language Scholarship, and search Federally Funded Language Programs.
Who Do I Want to Study Abroad With?
- International students
- A mix of US & International students
- Primarily other US/American students
- Other WWU students