$ Pay Less than "In-State" to Study Abroad!
MAPs are being updated
These pages are currently under revision, and may not have a complete list of programs. Please contact Hannah Nevitt to explore all program options.
WWU Education Abroad offers opportunities that vary in cost.
This list will feature programs that are similar in price, or less than what an In-State student might budget for tuition, housing, and meals at WWU. *Please note students will still need to budget for flights, spending money, application fees, books, visa costs, etc. on top of these estimated costs.
*Keep in mind that the average cost of attendance for a term at WWU (In-State rates) are around $9,700K per quarter/ $29K per Academic Year.
Please note there are many other options available beyond what is listed.
This is not a guaranteed list for credit transfer. Students must obtain department advisor approval for fulfilling degree requirements.
Students must apply to both the provider through the links below, and to WWU Education Abroad.
*Costs are subject to change.
Office: Remote/Miller Hall 208
After you decide on a program and the courses you will take abroad, you must complete the Departmental Academic Advising Esign Form with your academic advisor. The form must be completed before your program commences.
Review Your Degree Works
Web4U > Student > Student Records > Degree Works. Follow steps to see what you have completed, and what you still need for your degree plan. At least 50% of the credit hours required for the major/minor must be earned at Western.
An official transcript from your program must be sent to Education Abroad for processing upon completion of your program.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Things to Consider
- Cost of Living around the World
- Consider an International Studies Minor to globalize your degree
- Independent organizations that facilitate or administer study abroad programs for students
- Quarter, semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer
- Pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing, etc. (varies)
- More services provided
- Often includes excursions, onsite pickup, varied housing options
- Part time internships can be available for credit
- WWU faculty organize and lead academic programs abroad
- Quarter, summer, and academic breaks
- Earn WWU credits and learn from WWU faculty abroad while studying with other WWU students
- Pay tuition and fees at WWU in addition to a program fee for onsite costs
- Bilateral agreements between WWU and universities abroad to exchange students
- Chance of placement is high
- Semester and year-long options
- Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
- Room & board paid onsite
- Take courses with international students at universities abroad
- Eligibility requirements vary
- More independent and less services
Research, Fellowships & Grants
- CEA Affiliate Student Discount/Scholarship
All WWU students receive an automatic program discount off CEA program fees.
Award amount: Academic year $2000 + $500 flight voucher, Semester $1000 + $500 flight voucher, Summer $500 + $250 flight voucher
- Diverse International Women of Color Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Be a women of color but not limited to Black or African-American, Native American, Hispanic/Latina and Asian.
- Must be a student and attend college or university in the United States.
- Must have a GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- Accepted to a summer study abroad program.
- Study abroad program must start in June, July or August to be considered.
Application opens in March. Deadline is in early May.
Award amount: $500
- CIEE Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
- Award covers the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
Award amount: Full Ride Study Abroad Fellowship
- Fulbright Fellowship/Student Program
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers research, study, and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries to recent graduates and graduate students.
Award amount: Subject to the availability of federally-appropriated funds
- Boren Fellowships
Boren Fellowships promote long term linguistic and cultural immersion. Therefore, preference will be given to applicants proposing overseas programs of six months or longer. However, applicants proposing overseas programs of three-six months, especially those in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields are encouraged to apply.
- CIEE - Gilman Go Global & GAIN Grants
Just by applying for the Benjamin Gilman Scholarship, students participating on CIEE Study Abroad programs will automatically receive Go Global grants! GAIN Grants available for students using a Pell Grant, and helps cover airfare.
Award amount: Semester $2500, Summer $1000
- U.S. Dept. of State Rangel Graduate Fellowship
An orientation to the Program and the Foreign Service at Howard University in Washington, D.C.
• Two summer internships, one on Capitol Hill and one overseas at a U.S. embassy in summer
Award amount: Up to $37,500 annually toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy, and International Relations at a U.S.-based institution.
- U.S. Dept. of State Consular Fellows Program
- Consular Fellows Program – Paid Positions Abroad
- Foreign Service Officer
- Foreign Service Specialist – Administration, Construction Engineering, Facilities Management, IT, International Information, ESL, Medical & Health, Office Management, Law Enforcement & Security
Award amount: $ Paid Positions Abroad
- U.S. Dept. of State Critical Language Scholarship
Award amount: Summer $Full Tuition, Airfare, Accommodations
- Multidisciplinary International Research Training (MIRT) Fellowship
Award amount: Summer full tuition, airfare, accommodations, etc.
- Fulbright Commission Summer Institutes
The US-UK Fulbright Commission Summer Institutes
Award amount: Full Tuition, Airfare, Accommodations
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
For Pell Grant eligible students
Award amount: Grants averaging up to $3,000 for Summer, $5,000 for Semester/Quarter, $8,000 for Critical Language Study