Faculty led Global Learning Programs
Western Abroad 101
The first step to studying abroad is to review the Western Abroad 101 session information.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Things to Consider
- Cost of Living around the World
- Consider an International Studies Minor to globalize your degree
- WWU faculty organize and lead academic programs abroad
- Quarter, summer, and academic breaks
- Earn WWU credits and learn from WWU faculty abroad while studying with other WWU students
- Pay tuition and fees at WWU in addition to a program fee for onsite costs
Research, Fellowships & Grants
- Liz Partolan-Fray Memorial Scholarship for Education Abroad
This scholarship is designed to support underrepresented students to participate in international education. Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to WWU students who are participating in a summer Global Learning program led by WWU faculty member.
Award amount: $500
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
For Pell Grant eligible students
Award amount: Grants averaging up to $3,000 for Summer, $5,000 for Semester/Quarter, $8,000 for Critical Language Study
Western’s faculty-led study abroad programs are called Global Learning Programs. Most programs average two to three weeks, but some are as short as one week and as long as eight weeks. What makes these programs special is that you will get to study your academic discipline in an applied way with your professor and a cohort of ten to 15 peers.
Instead of studying art history from slides, you would stand in front of the original pieces in Japan. Instead of practicing Spanish in a Miller Hall classroom, you would spend an immersive month in Guanajuato, Mexico engaged in community-based learning. Instead of just reading West African literature, you will go to Senegal and interact with gritos, scribes, and marabouts.
Most of these programs are offered in the summer, with a smaller selection offered during fall, winter, and spring terms. You will be charged Western tuition and earn Western credit. These programs fill quickly, so secure your spot as soon as possible with your $1,000 down payment toward the total cost.