Do you love the outdoors and want to learn what life is like at the top of the world? Are you excited about biocultural diversity, conservation, and service learning? Then join us for a quarter in Nepal as we explore how people, plants, and animals thrive in one of the most rugged and beautiful landscapes on earth. The program, run in partnership with the InPlace Ecocultural Learning Institute, is a seven-week field course in rural Nepal.
Langtang National Park in the heart of the Himalayas will be our laboratory as we trek to alpine ridges in search of endangered Snow Leopards and Musk Deer, and traverse montane forests filled with rhododendrons, and epiphytic orchids. When not on the trail we will learn to enjoy Yak butter tea with our Tamang homestay hosts as we study the unique foods, medicines, and cultural traditions of these resilient mountain people. If you have grit, a passion for knowledge, and a keen since of adventure, apply now for a transformative experience in Nepal!
- Learn about Himalayan biodiversity, conservation, and ethnobiology
- Spend seven weeks in Nepal in the remote mountainous Rasuwa District and learn about the unique culture of the Tamang people and influences of Tibetan tradition
- Visit sites of historical importance around the capital of Kathmandu to learn about Nepali heritage and challenge yourself to learn the local language
- Study, live, and trek in the remarkable Langtang National Park to experience the breathtaking scenery, flora and fauna
- Learn about the daily life of villagers and traditional agricultural practices, including herding yak and sheep
- Support local development efforts with RTEES Nepal
Expectations of Participants
The time walking & sitting varies from day-to-day. With or without reasonable accommodations, students should be prepared to walk or stand 6-8 hours/day, especially when the class is in motion. Activities include trekking in the Langtang National Park. All participants must be able to walk 2-5 miles per day and carry their own supplies.
Due to the remote location of this program, we cannot guarantee access to refrigeration.