The Senegal Faculty Led Study Abroad Program will be based at WWU with three weeks in Senegal (and an optional fourth week for travel). Students will study and write about West African literature and other forms of cultural expression. They will also write creatively about their experiences.
2021 Program details will be posted soon.
- Students will meet and interact with griots, scribes, and marabouts
- Meet and interact with Senegalese people
- Attend village gatherings
- Experience West African cuisine
- Visit wild animal and bird reserves
- Visit Goree Island and other historical sites
- Shop in African markets for textiles and artisan goods
- Learn about West African Sufism
- Learn about ajami writing
- Enjoy time at the beach, including optional surfing lessons and yoga
- Listen to live West African music.
Expectations of Participants
With or without reasonable accommodations, walk for hours at a time in warm weather, climb stairs and stand for prolonged periods. Time sitting and walking will vary a great deal depending on the schedule. Some days will involve much walking, others not much at all. Activities include visits to museums and cultural sites.
The program cannot guarantee accommodation for students with medication that needs to be refrigerated. Electricity blackouts in Senegal occur from time to time, and there is significant bus travel in hot remote places. All lodgings sites have kitchens with refrigeration, but not in individual rooms.