* Transfer Student Options
MAPs are being updated
These pages are currently under revision, and may not have a complete list of programs. Please contact Hannah Nevitt to explore all program options.
WWU Transfer students are able to pursue Education Abroad (EdAbroad) through Study Abroad Providers, WWU Global Learning Faculty-led Programs, and direct enrollment at a host university abroad.
Below are some program options for transfer students to consider. We have chosen a set of programs and locations ideal for transfer students, based on a variety of factors:
- Availability of 200/300 level coursework
- Deadline considerations - since most transfer students will not yet have a WWU GPA at time of application
- Do not require letters of recommendation, or flexibility for the letters to come from High School instructors or former institutions
Please note there are other options available beyond what is listed.
This is not a guaranteed list for credit transfer. Students must obtain department advisor approval for fulfilling degree requirements.
Krista Mantello, MBA
Office: Remote/Miller Hall 205A
Office: Remote/Miller Hall 208
Transfer Student Eligibility Requirements
- Must be fully admitted to WWU before beginning the EdAbroad application.
- Students will need to pay the $300 Admissions Office confirmation fee in order to have their WWU student record created.
- Participation limited to Study Abroad Providers, WWU Global Learning Faculty-led Programs, or direct enrollment options.
- Transfer students cannot participate in WWU Exchanges *unless they have been at WWU for at least one term prior to program application, and have a WWU GPA by our exchange deadlines.
After you decide on a program and the courses you will take abroad, you must complete the Departmental Academic Advising Esign Form with your academic advisor. Please do not contact departmental advisors prior to being fully admitted to WWU. The form must be completed before your program commences.
Review Your Degree Works
Web4U > Student > Student Records > Degree Works. Follow steps to see what you have completed, and what you still need for your degree plan. At least 50% of the credit hours required for the major/minor must be earned at Western.
An official transcript from your program must be sent to Education Abroad for processing upon completion of your program.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Things to Consider
- Cost of Living around the World
- Consider an International Studies Minor to globalize your degree
- Independent organizations that facilitate or administer study abroad programs for students
- Quarter, semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer
- Pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing, etc. (varies)
- More services provided
- Often includes excursions, onsite pickup, varied housing options
- Part time internships can be available for credit
- WWU faculty organize and lead academic programs abroad
- Quarter, summer, and academic breaks
- Earn WWU credits and learn from WWU faculty abroad while studying with other WWU students
- Pay tuition and fees at WWU in addition to a program fee for onsite costs
Research, Fellowships & Grants
- CEA Affiliate Student Discount/Scholarship
All WWU students receive an automatic program discount off CEA program fees.
Award amount: Academic year $2000 + $500 flight voucher, Semester $1000 + $500 flight voucher, Summer $500 + $250 flight voucher
- CIEE Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
- Award covers the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
Award amount: Full Ride Study Abroad Fellowship
- Liz Partolan-Fray Memorial Scholarship for Education Abroad
This scholarship is designed to support underrepresented students to participate in international education. Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to WWU students who are participating in a summer Global Learning program led by WWU faculty member.
Award amount: $500
- CIEE - Gilman Go Global & GAIN Grants
Just by applying for the Benjamin Gilman Scholarship, students participating on CIEE Study Abroad programs will automatically receive Go Global grants! GAIN Grants available for students using a Pell Grant, and helps cover airfare.
Award amount: Semester $2500, Summer $1000
- USAC - University Studies Abroad Consortium - WWU Affiliate Scholarship
Award amount: Varies
- API - Academic Programs International - WWU Affiliate Scholarship
Award amount: Varies
- CIEE Academic Consortium Grant
Award amount: Varies
- CIEE Open Campus: Global Institute Grants
Award amount: $2,000 - $10,000
- U.S. Dept. of State Critical Language Scholarship
Award amount: Summer $Full Tuition, Airfare, Accommodations
- Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) Grant
Award amount: up to $3,000 for Summer, $5,000 for Semester/Quarter, $7,000 for Academic Year
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
For Pell Grant eligible students
Award amount: Grants averaging up to $3,000 for Summer, $5,000 for Semester/Quarter, $8,000 for Critical Language Study