* Visa Free & "Visa Light" Programs

MAPs are being updated

These pages are currently under revision, and may not have a complete list of programs. Please contact Hannah Nevitt to explore all program options.

A student visa is your permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. This is usually in the form of a stamp in your passport. The type of visa required is specific to the length of your stay, citizenship, and the type of activities you will be engaged in (study, tourist, work, etc.)

If you are interested in a study abroad program that does not require pre-program travel to a consulate, or a program that has a more simple or 'light visa' process, we recommend programs and destinations listed below.

Below are some program options that fit the following criteria:

  • Short term & quarter length options (less than 90 days in duration)

    • Generally speaking, on most summer programs & programs less than 90 days in duration, you can enter with a valid passport (with some exceptions)* Therefore, this list is primarily focused on quarter/semester length program options.

  • Visa/immigration documents that can be obtained onsite, completed online, or mailed
  • Allow for students to enter with a valid passport with the option to "renew" their documents in country

*Please note that immigration policies can change rapidly and often. It is always best to check visa and immigration requirements specific to your program and host country. It is your responsibility to determine and meet any travel requirements established for your program and host country including but not limited to: obtaining a valid passport and, if necessary, a travel visa; receiving any necessary immunizations; and completion of the Education Abroad application prior to the start of your program*

Additional Resources:

Please note there are other options available beyond what is listed. 

This is not a guaranteed list for credit transfer. Students must obtain department advisor approval for fulfilling degree requirements. 

Explore Programs



Education Abroad



Office: Miller Hall 208

Program Options

Study Abroad Provider

  • Independent organizations that facilitate or administer study abroad programs for students
  • Quarter, semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer
  • Pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing, etc. (varies)
  • More services provided
  • Often includes excursions, onsite pickup, varied housing options
  • Part time internships can be available for credit

Faculty-led Global Learning Program

  • WWU faculty organize and lead academic programs abroad
  • Quarter, summer, and academic breaks
  • Earn WWU credits and learn from WWU faculty abroad while studying with other WWU students
  • Pay tuition and fees at WWU in addition to a program fee for onsite costs

Western Exchange

  • Bilateral agreements between WWU and universities abroad to exchange students
  • Chance of placement is high
  • Semester and year-long options
  • Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
  • Room & board paid onsite
  • Take courses with international students at universities abroad
  • Eligibility requirements vary
  • More independent and less services

ISEP Exchange

  • ISEP stands for International Student Exchange Program
  • Students can choose from over 135 universities in 36 different countries
  • Students provide ISEP with a list of preferred sites. Chance of placement varies from site to site.
  • Semester & year-long options only
  • Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
  • Room & board paid to WWU
  • Take courses with international students at universities abroad
  • More independent and less services provided

Important to Consider

  • Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months after your planned return date. Renew your passport immediately if your passport expires before then. 

  • It is important for students to consider their country/destination and the potential process and/or requirements (budget and timeline) for any potential visa that may be required. 

    • Europe example- students that want to study abroad for more than 90 days (3 months) in Spain or Italy, will need to apply for a student visa, and our nearest consulate is located in San Francisco for WA residents. This may potentially mean you would need to fly to the consulate and schedule an in person appointment at the SF consulate.

  • Schengen Calculator - Calculate Your Legal Short-Stay in Europe (schengenvisainfo.com) 

    • * Americans are allowed to be in these 26 European "Schengen" countries for a MAX of 90 days without a visa. This includes your program dates, and any additional family vacation or personal travel before or after your program dates.

  • Keep in mind that a visa is a privilege, not a right.

    • Many study abroad programs and providers offer extensive information, tutorials, and guidance in the visa process.

    • Many even offer "batch" processing of visas - meaning for a fee, they will collect your documents, travel to the consulate for you, and assist in the visa process! 

Advising Info

After you decide on a program and the courses you will take abroad, you must complete the Departmental Academic Advising Esign Form with your academic advisor. The form must be completed before your program commences.   

Review Your Degree Works  

Web4U > Student > Student Records > Degree Works. Follow steps to see what you have completed, and what you still need for your degree plan. At least 50% of the credit hours required for the major/minor must be earned at Western.   

An official transcript from your program must be sent to Education Abroad for processing upon completion of your program.  

Additional Info  

Research, Fellowships & Grants

CEA Affiliate Student Discount/Scholarship

All WWU students receive an automatic program discount off CEA program fees.

Award amount: Academic year $2000 + $500 flight voucher, Semester $1000 + $500 flight voucher, Summer $500 + $250 flight voucher

CIEE Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship

  • Award covers the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
  • Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.

Award amount: Full Ride Study Abroad Fellowship

Fulbright Fellowship/Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers research, study, and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries to recent graduates and graduate students.

Award amount: Subject to the availability of federally-appropriated funds

Boren Fellowships

Boren Fellowships promote long term linguistic and cultural immersion. Therefore, preference will be given to applicants proposing overseas programs of six months or longer. However, applicants proposing overseas programs of three-six months, especially those in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields are encouraged to apply.

CIEE - Gilman Go Global & GAIN Grants

Just by applying for the Benjamin Gilman Scholarship, students participating on CIEE Study Abroad programs will automatically receive Go Global grants! GAIN Grants available for students using a Pell Grant, and helps cover airfare.

Award amount: Semester $2500, Summer $1000

U.S. Dept. of State Rangel Graduate Fellowship

An orientation to the Program and the Foreign Service at Howard University in Washington, D.C.

• Two summer internships, one on Capitol Hill and one overseas at a U.S. embassy in summer                          

Award amount: Up to $37,500 annually toward tuition, fees and living expenses for a two-year master’s degree in fields related to the Foreign Service such as Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy, and International Relations at a U.S.-based institution.

U.S. Dept. of State Consular Fellows Program

Award amount: $ Paid Positions Abroad

U.S. Dept. of State Critical Language Scholarship

Award amount: Summer $Full Tuition, Airfare, Accommodations

Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) Grant

Award amount: up to $3,000 for Summer, $5,000 for Semester/Quarter, $7,000 for Academic Year

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

For Pell Grant eligible students

Award amount: Grants averaging up to $3,000 for Summer, $5,000 for Semester/Quarter, $8,000 for Critical Language Study




South Africa

  • CIEE - Open Campus Cape Town, Spring Semester, Spring Quarter, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
    • 2 block combination/12 weeks only



  • USAC - Bengaluru, Spring Semester, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter



  • CIEE - Open Campus Singapore, Spring Semester, Spring Quarter, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
    • 2 block combination/12 weeks only


British Columbia

Central America


Costa Rica

Puerto Rico; USA








  • SAI - Florence University of the Arts, Spring Semester, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
    • Florence University of the Arts offers an 11 week program!
    • They offer "short" programs of 7 weeks that can be used for fall, winter, or spring.
  • UW Rome in Residence, Spring Quarter, Winter Quarter
  • CIEE - Open Campus Rome, Spring Semester, Spring Quarter, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
    • 2 block combination/12 weeks only



Northern Ireland



  • USAC - St. Andrews, Spring Semester, Fall Quarter
    • Students can be in the UK for up to 6 months (semester programs) on a valid passport. - *Year long students and students planning to participate in an internship/work experience will need a student visa.
  • USAC - University of Stirling, Spring Semester, Fall Quarter


Middle East


North America




New Zealand

South America





  • ISA - Cusco, Spring Semester, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter



  • ISA - Intensive Month Combo - Multi Destination, Spring Semester, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
  • ISA - Internships, Spring Semester, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter
    • 6 - 9 credit internships and coursework available in:

    • Australia, Belgium, Chile, France, Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, Vietnam
    • Students can participate in 6 week, 8 week, or 12 week internships
    • For an additional $375 students can earn 6 - 9 quarter credits for their internship placements through the University of South Florida
  • CIEE - Open Campus Multi-Destination - Global Institute Network, Spring Quarter, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
    • Students can study in multiple countries. Pending your country/destination order you can study without a visa. Please consult with study abroad advisors.

Service Learning for credit

  • ISA - Service Learning for Credit, Spring Semester, Spring Quarter, Summer Quarter, Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter
    • Program locations in Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ireland, Morocco, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa and Spain
    • Students can participate in 4 week, 6 week, or 8 week or placements
    • Service learning can be combined with traditional semester options depending on program and duration.
    • Students can earn up to 4 quarter credits for a 4 week program, and up to 7 quarter credits for an 8 week program.