Professional Development Opportunities
The Fulbright International Education Administrator's Program (IEA)
Deadline: Varies depending on country
The International Education Administrator’s Program (IEA) helps professionals and senior higher education officials learn about the host country’s education system as well as establish networks of U.S. and international colleagues. A number of grants are available for the various programs and the duration of the grant is two weeks. Grantees return with enhanced ability to serve and encourage international students and prospective study abroad students. The programs are in Japan, Korea, France, Germany, Russia, Taiwan, and India.
CIEE Professional Development Seminars
Western is a member of the CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) who offers professional development seminars to provide faculty and administrators with innovative approaches to enhance syllabi, internationalize curricula and increase global understanding on campus.
Programs may feature lectures and discussions with overseas academics and colleagues, and coordinated site visits to academic, economic, educational, environmental, historic, political, religious, and social institutions.
The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) has provided education abroad programs since 1947 and is the leading U.S. non-governmental international education organization. WWU has been a member of the CIEE Academic Consortium since 1977.
Previous Grant Awardees:
- Joy Wiggins (Elementary Education) participated in the "Women, Tradition and Revolution" seminar to Jordan
- Rosalie Romano (Secondary Education) participated in the "Learning While Leading" seminar to Madrid, Spain.
Fulbright Scholar Program
Deadline: Early August
The traditional Fulbright Scholar Program sends 800 U.S. faculty and professionals abroad each year. Grantees lecture and conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields. The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Under a cooperative agreement with the Bureau, the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) assists in the administration of the Fulbright Scholar Program for faculty and professionals. For more information on the Fulbright Scholar Program visit the website. Faculty may contact Executive Director, Institute for Global Engagement.
SIT Professional Engagement Programs
The School for International Training (SIT Study Abroad) offers several kinds of professional engagement programs for faculty and study abroad professionals including:
- Seminars focused on skills-building and training in best practices for integrating experiential learning activities into faculty-led study abroad programs
- Academically focused seminars that allow faculty to explore a topic in depth in a particular geographical and cultural context
- Certificates for faculty and study abroad professionals
- Customizable seminars, workshops, and professional development opportunities for school partners
Visit SIT or contact email@example.com to learn more.