Tips for Financial Aid Recipients

Financial Aid Considerations & Tips

  • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WAFSA) for the school year that you intend on studying abroad by the priority deadline.
  • Study Abroad Financial Aid Estimator: This calculator will help you estimate your financial aid eligibility for a summer study abroad program, it is not a guarantee of aid. Work with your EdAbroad advisor to complete a financial budget for your program. Global Learning faculty-led Program participants do not need advising appointments as the budget is created for the group.
  • Be aware of restrictions on specific aid types: Loans and grants are financial aid that can travel with you. You are ineligible to use Work Study, Western grants, and Tuition Waivers, including the Western Achievement Award (WAA) scholarship, the Western Award for Excellence (WAE) scholarship, and the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) scholarship while on study abroad.
  • You have the option of front loading your loans during your education abroad quarter.
  • Check with the Scholarship Center regarding scholarship opportunities or awarded scholarships and whether they are eligible to be applied to your program costs.
  • Make arrangements with your program regarding your payment schedule. Financial aid will be disbursed to you, WWU will not pay program costs directly.
  • If your program requires payment before you receive your aid, it is your responsibility to make arrangements with the program regarding any deferments and your payment schedule. If you have financial aid you can have a deferment form completed through the Financial Aid office.
    • Important note: Financial aid disburses funds to your Student Account the Friday before the first day of the quarter OR the first day of your program, whichever is later
  • Ensure all financial aid requirements are complete, including documentation, accepting of loans in Web4U, if applicable, and completing first time loan borrower requirements at (Entrance Counseling and Loan Agreement (MPN)).
  • Consider having someone serve as Power of Attorney to take care of any financial matters that may arise while you are away. A Power of Attorney legally gives the person you indicate the authority to sign documents in your absence.
  • Set up Direct Deposit refund preferences by visiting BankMobile. If you have additional questions about your refund preferences, please contact the Student Business or 360-650-2865.
  • Ensure your personal information is up to date on your Web4U.
  • Monitor your Western email account for important communication while abroad.
  • Review Student Debt Relief.
  • Contact Financial Aid to discuss any questions.