MAPs are being updated
These pages are currently under revision, and may not have a complete list of programs. Please contact Hannah Nevitt to explore all program options.
The following highlights International Internships. This is meant to highlight a variety of programs by region. Please note there are many other options available beyond what is listed. This is not a guaranteed list for credit transfer. Students must obtain department advisor approval for fulfilling degree requirements. Students must apply to both the provider through the links below, and to WWU Education Abroad.
The internship integrates academic credit at WWU with on-the-job experience, allowing students to gain valuable skills while working towards a degree. Students should start planning at least two quarters in advance for an international internship. Students can participate in an international internship that may range from a few weeks to six months of full-time work.
Students complete an internship abroad (for credit, not for pay) that is usually accompanied by an “Internship Course.” The course may include discussions on work-place differences and provide a check-in opportunity to professionalize your international work experience.
Internship + Study Combo
Students are able to participate in a part-time internship in addition to coursework, including intensive language on many study abroad programs!
Students need approval of a faculty advisor for internship participation. The faculty advisor must determine how the internship will be evaluated and graded. After you decide on a internship, you must complete the Departmental Academic Advising Esign Form with your academic advisor. The form must be completed before your program commences.
Review Your Degree Works
Web4U > Student > Student Records > Degree Works. Follow steps to see what you have completed, and what you still need for your degree plan. At least 50% of the credit hours required for the major/minor must be earned at Western.
An official transcript from your program, if applicable, must be sent to Education Abroad for processing upon completion of your program.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Things to Consider
- Cost of Living around the World
- Consider an International Studies Minor to globalize your degree
- Independent organizations that facilitate or administer study abroad programs for students
- Quarter, semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer
- Pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing, etc. (varies)
- More services provided
- Often includes excursions, onsite pickup, varied housing options
- Part time internships can be available for credit
- ISEP stands for International Student Exchange Program
- Students can choose from over 135 universities in 36 different countries
- Students provide ISEP with a list of preferred sites. Chance of placement varies from site to site.
- Semester & year-long options only
- Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
- Room & board paid to WWU
- Take courses with international students at universities abroad
- More independent and less services provided