MAPs are being updated
These pages are currently under revision, and may not have a complete list of programs. Please contact Hannah Nevitt to explore all program options.
The following programs highlight International Internships. This is meant to highlight a variety of programs that provide full-time internships; please note there may be more available beyond what is listed here, and this is not a guaranteed list for credit transfer. Students will still need to meet with their major/minor departments to discuss fulfilling degree requirements.
Students can participate in an international internship that may range from a few weeks to six months of full-time work.
The internship integrates academic credit at Western Washington University with on-the-job experience, allowing students to gain valuable skills while working towards a degree. Students should start planning at least two quarters in advance for an international internship.
Students must work closely with a faculty advisor when doing an international internship.
Please review the International Internship Guidelines.
For Health and Human Development (HHD) majors, review the International Internships Guidelines - HHD.
Students complete an Internship abroad (for credit, not for pay) that is usually accompanied by an “Internship Course.” The course may include discussions on work-place differences and provide a check-in opportunity to professionalize your international work experience.
Internship + Study Combo
Students are able to take a part-time Internship (4-6 credits) in addition to coursework on many study abroad programs! Internship + Intensive Language: Students are able to take a part-time internship (4-6 credits) in addition to intensive language study!
Students will need approval by a faculty advisor or academic department /college chair: The faculty advisor must determine how the internship will be evaluated and graded.
Explore Scholarships & Financial Aid opportunities.
- Independent organizations that facilitate or administer study abroad programs for students
- Quarter, semester, academic year, calendar year, and summer
- Pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing, etc. (varies)
- More services provided
- Often includes excursions, onsite pickup, varied housing options
- Part time internships can be available for credit
- ISEP stands for International Student Exchange Program
- Students can choose from over 135 universities in 36 different countries
- Students provide ISEP with a list of preferred sites. Chance of placement varies from site to site.
- Semester & year-long options only
- Pay WWU in-state tuition and mandatory fees
- Room & board paid to WWU
- Take courses with international students at universities abroad
- More independent and less services provided